原图地址:http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/63e45c26gw1dvtnv8c2pwj.jpg

作者:三十年代 提交日期:2012-08-12 10:50:30
    卖的人,举牌的人,我都认识,我也想买来着,不过想想自己没这实力,买了之后又不便写,就放弃了。价格根本不高。听说这是许先生买了,没想到很快写出来了。

作者:敬惜字纸 提交日期:2012-08-12 11:10:09
    文字版:

年纪稍大的朋友对沈崇事件一定还有点印象,沈崇当年被美军强奸,间接加速了蒋王朝的灭亡,那未她后来的命运又如何呢?此文值得一看,因篇幅较长,故分二段贴出。

沈崇自白

許禮平

沈崇事件,在上个世纪四十年代下半叶影响至钜。事件纯出于偶然,但在民众的积怨和共产党的策动下,却引起轩然大波,迅速发展成为全国性的反美反政府之群众运动,让蒋介石伤神不已,来个干纲独断,调动国家机器中所有力量:党、政、军、警、宪、特、传媒,终以玩不过地下党而以失败告终。

沈崇事件发生时,当局出于政治上的需要,放出许多不同的传言,让事件像罗生门般,扑朔迷离。年前偶得此案相关文件原物,遂与此案结缘。所得有当时报纸报道、评论,亦有北京大学致本案法律代理人赵凤喈之公函,最重要者,则系沈崇本人亲笔自白书,这份弥足珍贵的自白书从未公布,系沈崇本人在案发后不久,亲笔撰述被辱经过详情,拟交法庭方面作有力之证明的书面文件。

案发时间一九四六年十二月廿四日星期二晚上八时半,圣诞夜,通常这夜不太平安。有传媒洞察形势,善意发出警示:「今晚洋人狂欢,妇女盼勿出门。」但凡有美国驻军之异域,或多或少,总会发生风化案,尤其圣诞夜。当晚美国驻华海军陆战队伍长威廉士.皮尔逊,大概肾上腺素急升,那话儿指挥大脑,竟敢伙同下士普利查德,在东长安街北侧平安戏院西边(即现今之东方广场),强行架走弱女子沈崇至东单广场奸污,炮制「沈崇事件」。

案发后警方处理经过如下:

「本局(北平市警察局)为详求当时事实真象计,曾将被害人送往警察局医院鉴定,确属被奸,开具鉴定书并协同北平地方法院首席检察官纪元赴现场履勘,制作笔录。与沈崇所供符合。又据本局外事科科员张颖杰及巡官策绍明报告,该被捕之美兵(皮尔逊)身穿制服,面部尘土颇多,一手戴手套,一手未戴,被害人身着之大衣钮扣未扣,里衣未扣齐,大衣后下部浸湿一块,两袜脱落于腿腕,头发零乱,全身灰土,显曾抵抗甚烈。是本案犯罪事实至为明显。」

案发之后,亚光新闻社王柱宇最早得到消息,但北平市警察局汤永咸局长要管制新闻,封锁消息。深具新闻职业操守的记者老编诸君,不顾禁令,照直报道。报纸一出街,北平社会哗然。

沈崇是北京大学先修班学生,事发后,北大训导长、三青团负责人、先修班主任陈雪屏立即把先修班座次表沈崇的名字抹掉,并叮嘱注册组刘主任不许外人查询,对外则宣称「该生不一定是北大学生」。但民国狗仔队神通广大,还是查出沈崇在北大注册卡片:「沈崇,十九岁,福建闽侯人,先修班文法组新生。永久通讯处:上海古拔路二十五号。」消息披露,北大立即沸腾,北大女同学尤其热心,设法找到沈崇在北平居处,东单八面槽甘雨胡同十四号杨公馆(沈崇表亲宅),七八个女同学登门慰问,大家才知道,沈崇系大家闺秀,生活严谨,个性倔强,学习认真,与外界极少交往,而且系出八闽望族,系林则徐外玄孙女,两江总督兼南洋大臣沈葆桢曾孙女,林琴南外孙女,父亲系国民政府交通部次长(即副部长)沈劭,哥哥系驻法公使,与陈雪屏更有远亲关系。

沈崇真实身份披露之后,十二月廿六日北京大学学生率先成立「抗议美军暴行筹备委员会」,罢课、示威游行。接着廿八日清华学生罢课、廿九日清华教授罢教。

北平地下党诸君密切注视本案发展。他们原本执行毛公指示:「隐蔽精干,长期埋伏,积蓄力量,以待时机。」十六字方针,起初只是观望,按兵不动。但形势发展迅猛,全市反美怒潮高涨。十二月廿九日,北平地下党学生工作委员会南北两系召开紧急会议,认为时机成熟,应因势利导,引领示威。共党介入,国民党有难了。

共产党组织力极强,效率极高,十二月卅日下午已组织领导北大、清华、燕京、中法、辅仁……等学生近五千(对外号称万人)游行示威,去国民党北平行辕请愿,沿途高呼「严惩肇事美军」,叫得最响的是「美军撤出中国」。

当天另一边厢北京大学沈从文、朱光潜、袁家骅、任继愈等四十八教授联名去信美国驻华大使司徒雷登抗议美军暴行,清华梅贻琦校长、燕京陆志韦校长等都发声支持学生,还要求当局保障学生游行安全,两校众教授又发表联合声明。

古老的北平沸腾了,共党乘胜追击。十二月卅一日,中共中央发出《关于在各大城市组织群众响应北平学生运动的指示》,全国各地,迅即响应。翌日,上海市学生抗议驻华美军暴行联合会成立,同一天,马寅初、郭绍虞、萧干等上海三十教授发表抗议书,接着钱钟书等教授又发表声明,全国各民主党派、人民团体、社会贤达,相继发表声明抗议美军暴行,声援北平学生。跟着全国几十个大城市的学生纷纷罢课,示威游行,人数达五十万之众,运动持续一两个月之久。

沈崇事件,已发展成为国共两党角力斗法的事件。国民党一开始把这个事件强调纯为法律问题,用法律解决。共产党一开始就把它提升至政治层面,强调要美军撤出中国,反对内战。

北大校长胡适之期望法律解决,他主持的北大聘请赵凤喈、燕树棠诸律师任沈崇法律顾问。但一九四三年六月九日中美双方签订《处理在华美军人员刑事案件条例》第一条列明:美军在中国犯罪,「归美军军事法庭及军事当局裁判」,也就是说,美国佬说了算。美国是文明世界表率,强调法治,当然要做足全套,也照样开庭审判。

延至一九四七年一月二十二日中国农历大年初一,美军军事法庭裁定主犯皮尔逊强奸已遂罪成立。二月一日再裁定帮凶普利查德妨碍军纪等二项罪名成立。判处皮尔逊十五年有期徒刑,普利查德监禁劳役十个月。这个判决好象很公道,让国民党松一口气,也让胡适高兴了一阵子。但六月中,美国军事法庭总检察长宣布,所控罪状不能成立,国民党十分紧张,做了许多动作都无补于事。八月中,美国海军部长核准判决,该被告无罪释放兼恢复原职。好了,美帝只照顾自家子弟兵,不管蒋公死活,这样子搞作,等于在中国大地上丢一个精神原子弹,加速国民党倒台。

以一个女子遭遇而影响大局,像沈崇事件是绝无仅有的。「冲冠一怒为红颜」那只是一个吴三桂。而沈崇事件是牵动五十万学子和千百名教授的「冲冠一怒」,最终加速了一个政权的收场。这是历史偶然性的奇迹。沈崇是真真正正能「倾」人之国,隳人之政的「倾国佳人」。

本世纪伊始,又有人拿「沈崇事件」做文章,说沈崇是地下党,色诱美军,制造事件,以便引发全国反美运动,重弹六十多年前的老调。更有人深具创意的凭空编出:改了名的沈崇在文革中「被红卫兵批斗时揭穿身份,她向红卫兵承认,她并未遭美军强奸,之所以这样说是为了党的事业」。一般人说话不够分量,不够权威,于是有人把这段话挂到名人聂绀弩头上,还列明引自聂公〈沈崇的婚姻问题〉一文,但聂公此文撰于一九四七年二月二十一日,其时,哪来文革?哪来红卫兵?这就是启功老常说的未开卷而知其伪。

「沈崇事件」各种档案俱在,北京、台北、美国所存这些档案都超过五十年,都解密了,花点时间读一读,案件清楚得很。但仍很希望能够问问当事人沈崇,对于时至今日还有人只拿个别档案,不辨真伪为美军翻案,她作为受害者,作何感想?当然,「沈崇事件」最大受害者是中华民国,是中国国民党,那么党国诸君又作何感想呢?

作者:敬惜字纸 提交日期:2012-08-12 11:11:24

六十多年来,沈崇的下落,备受关注,而又传闻不一。有说削发为尼,遁入空门;有说宋美龄收为谊女,移民国外。有说她改名换姓,健在北京。前两种传闻找不到任何依据,早被否定了。而北京文化圈子则隐约流传:沈崇就在北京,而且活跃在文化圈中。

大概八十年代吧,有一回,聂绀弩、丁聪与三联书店周健强等聚会,聂早年写过〈沈崇的婚姻问题〉一文,周问聂,「沈崇到底是谁呀?」聂指着丁聪说,你问他,他最清楚。

丁聪夫人沈峻,就是文化圈中传说的沈崇。但从来没有人敢问沈峻,你是沈崇吗?这句话太冒犯了。甚至与丁聪伉俪死党如黄苗子、郁风也不敢问。

今年春节后不久,李辉、应红伉俪莅寒斋雅叙,我出示沈崇亲笔自白书三纸,应红一睇,脱口而出:「这不就是沈峻的字吗?!」应红是作家出版社负责人,与沈峻熟络,经手沈峻手稿无数,所以对她的字迹非常熟悉。当天我到罗孚家造访,借沈峻给罗公贺年卡、拍摄沈峻滑雪照上的题字,回家与沈崇字迹对比研究,虽然前后六十多年,但用笔、结体,都有太多一致处。

好了,如何求证?颇费思量。通过沈峻周围的至爱亲朋吗,他们实在开不了口。重提旧事,对当事人不啻于再一次伤害,但近年攻击沈崇的言论甚嚣尘上,不弄清楚,对当事人又是更严重伤害。

机会终于来了。林道群兄嘱转稿费与沈峻,一口应承。五月八日上京,请沈峻密友约沈峻一起用餐讨教。甫一见面,认出这就是在罗公家里从贺年卡看到的,八十多岁老太太滑雪雄姿的沈峻,真人可是腰板硬朗,英姿勃发,神采飞扬,白白滑滑的面庞架个墨镜,路人还以为是哪个资深玉女明星呢。

笑谈间笔者开始进攻了。先问沈峻生肖属甚么?答曰:「兔」,丁卯一九二七?「没错」,心想沈崇案发时十九岁,一九二七到一九四六正好十九岁。再问府上哪里?「福建闽侯」,心想,又对了。席间奉上马幼垣关于沉葆桢照片辨伪文章(刊《九州学刊》六卷二期)影本,内有沈文肃公与夫人林氏画像,沈峻说,「从前家里就是挂这画像,文革毁去」,问沉葆桢是你贵亲?「沈葆桢是我曾祖父」,又对了。尊大人大名?「沈劭」,完全吻合了。做甚么工作?「工程师,到处跑,做过交通部次长。解放前夕离开大陆。」几兄弟姐妹?「四姐妹,我最大,剩下我跟最小的。」何时来北京?「解放后」,稍停片刻,立即补充,「一九四六年来北京,在北京大学先修班。」心想这就完全对了,她就是沈崇,肯定不会错。正思考间,沈峻再补充「后来在上海复旦大学毕业。」是党员吗?「是。」甚么时候参加党?「一九五六年,在学校入党。」

终于要摊牌了,立即取出准备好的沈崇亲笔自白书、北京大学聘请赵凤喈任此案法律顾问感谢函等材料,放在饭桌上。沈峻一看,立即摘下墨镜,聚精会神,略显湿润双眼,泛着几乎觉察不出的淡淡泪光,盯着这几叶沉甸甸的薄纸,面色为之一变,神情凝重而镇静,压低嗓门说:「哪里搞来的?给我的吗?」这是彩色复印件,全部给你。沈峻一声「谢谢」,马上收起文件。

确认沈崇真身后,一切轻松多了。先谈谈她小时候的情况。哪里出生?福州?上海?「不对,我生于镇江,父亲在镇江盖桥梁,盖公路,所以我在那里出生。」「父亲因为搞工程建设,到处去。我小时候去上海,在上海念小学,所以寄居姑姑家。」是古拔路二十五号吗?「对,你怎么知道的?」我开玩笑说我是调查局的。

「我姑父曾景南是盐务局长。」啊!那是肥缺。「对。」「姑姑喜欢女儿,特别疼我,我又是人家的女儿,宠一点没关系。所以我从小就无法无天。」一九四七年,因奶奶病重,不愿死在外地,棺材都买好了,要回福州老家寿终正寝,沈峻便陪着奶奶回福州。福州与台湾很近,沈峻顺便去了趟台湾,探望姑姑,几天就回来了。文革时,因此而被诬为去台湾领特务经费。「姑姑有个儿子在美国念书,我动员他们母子回来,他先到香港,他妈妈从台湾到香港会合,我去香港接他们一起回来,这不是很好嘛,但文革时候,又说我去香港领特务经费。」

尊大人沈劭生于哪年?沈峻一脸茫然,不知道。生肖属甚么,也不知道,只知她出生时父亲二十多岁。沉劭在南洋公学毕业,然后交大,再留美。抗战间沈峻在上海,沉劭则在昆明,盖机场,盖公路,父女大部份时间分开,对父亲了解不多。沈劭有个朋友托他照顾妻子儿女,朋友后来死了,沉劭继续照顾,妻子变成他的妻子,儿女变成他的儿女,两家人变一家人。解放前夕,沉劭离开大陆。沉劭新家庭另一半是南洋华侨,要回南洋,沉劭同去。后来在美资还是英资的石油公司工作,一直到七十年代过世。

问起沈峻妈妈,果然姓林,家庭妇女。沈峻生儿子时接母亲来北京住。原居所两间房住三代人,十分挤迫。一九八五年分到稍大居室,但母亲习惯住地下,左邻右里都熟,老友记多,不愿搬去高楼住。过几年九十五岁过世。

又再问回不开心的往事。你在北大先修班,准备念甚么科,「我的志愿是学医」。但出事后,政府不让她到北大上课,因为风头火势,不许她出来。「在北京没事干,就回上海,后来才(改名沈峻)考入复旦大学外文系」。学的是俄文。
    复旦毕业后,学校很喜欢她,要留她当助教。沈峻不服从组织分配,要去北京。

沈峻在北京先去中联部,中联部发觉沈峻社会关系太复杂,不合要求,调去对外文委,干了几年,在宣传司管书刊,下辖外文出版社,后来外文出版社分出来,独立成为外文局,社领导挑了几个人,包括沈峻,入外文局,做到退休。

丁聪妹妹与沈峻是同学,沈峻在复旦大学毕业后,一九五六年九月,她与丁聪妹妹同时被分配上京,因丁聪妹妹在京无其它亲戚,便拉着沈峻常去探望丁聪,一来二往,丁聪沈峻便结婚了。不久,反右运动开始,丁聪划为右派,沈峻已怀孕,大着肚子搬家,生孩子那天,正是丁聪发配北大荒之时,丁聪匆匆到医院,隔着玻璃窗,看看新生的儿子,随即赴北大荒劳改。沈峻说,「我们一家人,分住四个地方。」直到八十年代初才一家团聚,这就是火红的年代的现实写照。

解放后,沈峻受社会风气影响,要求进步,要参加党。在大陆,乖孩子才能做少先队,再大一点才能入共青团,然后才入共产党,这是当时整个社会的风尚。这是社会的大环境、大气候。沈峻在上海复旦大学入党,先作预备党员,一般一年后转正,但丈夫丁聪划为右派,作为妻子的沈峻也受牵连,拖了五年,到丁聪摘帽时才转正。丁聪是一九七九年才正式全部平反。

再带回事件本身。文革时候,有人问你「沈崇事件」吗?「没有,文革时候从来没有人问。这事毛选早有定案,红卫兵不敢乱来。」当时跟共党有联系吗?「没有,我当时十九岁,甚么都不懂,我家的背景都是国民党的。」当时几十万学生示威游行,皆因你而起,你害怕吗?「不害怕,学生的行动是正义的。」再问,有看计算机吗?「没有,我眼内黄斑,计算机发光,我看不了。」网络上很多言论攻击你,说你是延安派来色诱美军,制造事件,你知道吗?「有人告诉过我。当年国民党贴出大字报小字报造谣,早已被当时的学生驳得体无完肤,很快没有声音了。现在有些人,只不过重拾当年造谣者的牙慧而已。」「你要知道,那个时候国民党是统治者,控制着国家机器,如果我是八路,早就被抓起来了。」

网络上这么多言论攻击你,颠倒黑白,混淆真相,你是否可以亲自写文章澄清,以正视听。「不,我不理,他们想出名,你驳他,他驳你,没完没了,他就出名。我一概不理。」

啊!境界真高,佛家:「闻谤不辩」?苗公(黄苗子)也如是。真是二流堂人物,一流作派。

沈峻性格开朗,阳光气足,相处如沐春风。就算碰到悲剧,也要变成闹剧,以喜剧收场。性格决定命运,信焉!

作者:爽口马老 提交日期:2012-08-12 11:53:12
    沈峻的真身
    老胡同早知道了~~~~~
作者:书巫 提交日期:2012-08-12 12:46:58
    转新浪微博——

上海陈子善:许礼平兄此文大佳,史家眼光,求实态度,能采访沈峻先生本人,澄清两个历史疑团,殊为不易,当然,如何进一步分析甚至质疑,自可见仁见智。许兄记忆力过人,随身又带一小本,凡他认为值得一录的人物,生卒年、籍贯、生肖…一应俱全,密密麻麻如天书。我曾试过多次,此本准确率达99.9%。

作者:书巫 提交日期:2012-08-12 12:47:34
    崇山峻岭
作者:之乎 提交日期:2012-08-12 12:56:48
     —————————————————————————————————————

胡局不买是错的,不写是对的!
作者:8213073 提交日期:2012-08-12 13:07:35
    噢
作者:三十年代 提交日期:2012-08-12 13:12:16
    之乎老师说的对,谢谢。
作者:之乎 提交日期:2012-08-12 13:22:35

黄裳先生说过的“摸金校尉”,大概就是这路人

老沈也真够笨的,

地球人都知道此沈是彼沈

卖点在漫画家呀

自白书,鄙人有当年的文字版,及详尽的庭审记录

但是我和胡局都有操守,知道底线在哪里

当然沈某自己愿意合盘托出

或是漫画家不在了

或是活该

作者:之乎 提交日期:2012-08-12 13:28:44
    当然,我不赞成陈教授的观点

这跟通常所说的考证查据,两回事啊

说是狗崽队手法,不冤枉吧

当然,还是那句话

一个愿问,一个愿答

活该!
作者:台郡有书不读人家 提交日期:2012-08-12 13:30:16

作者:台郡有书不读人家 提交日期:2012-08-12 13:32:11

作者:之乎 提交日期:2012-08-12 13:43:13

此文主旨且不论,几处轻佻,读了反胃。
作者:三十年代 提交日期:2012-08-12 13:56:33
    沈是对许说的,许说了这些东西要做呈堂证供,发布出来吗?私下里说跟法庭上说,是一码事吗?
作者:李大嘴 提交日期:2012-08-12 14:43:43
    对于沈这样的人,对外人说出来,也算正式的了。可以视为她默许由许发布出来。
    问题在于,作为当事人,经历了六十多年的意识形态“洗澡”,她的“呈堂证供”,我们没法就这样照单全收。
    她说的理由也不充分。她家的背景是国民党,并不能证明她本人就跟我党没有联系,陈布雷的女儿不也参加我党了吗?至于她说如果她是八路,国民党早就抓她了,这又未免高估了国民党——你以为国民党能做到跟我党一样吗?
    许文倾向太明显,谈何“史家眼光,求实态度”?
作者:敬惜字纸 提交日期:2012-08-12 16:59:19
    http://granitestudio.org/2008/12/24/the-historical-record-for-december-24-the-christmas-eve-rape-of-student-shen/

The Historical Record for December 24: The Christmas Eve Rape of Student Shen
    Around 8:00 p.m. on December 24, 1946, a group of American marines including 23-year old Corporal William Pierson and Private William Pritchard snatched Beijing University student Shen Chong off the streets near Dongdan in Beijing, dragged her to the adjacent Polo Grounds (what is today the Dongdan basketball courts) and raped her.  A group of workers heard her cries for help but –intimidated by the American soldiers — they didn’t intervene and instead ran to report the crime to the joint Sino-American Police Force tasked with keeping order in the city.  Pierson was arrested later that night.

The crime electrified the Beijing intelligentsia. The fact that the two soldiers were tried in an American military court with limited Chinese involvement recalled memories of colonial extraterrioriality.  Moreover, the assault raised the question of why American troops were continuing to occupy key Chinese cities a year after the Japanese surrender.  Many students, academics, and intellectuals, already predisposed to sympathize with the CCP and leftist groups at the expense of Chiang Kai-shek’s government, used the case of Shen Chong’s rape to call for immediate US withdrawal from China, accusing the Americans of being in league with Chiang and possibly planning to return China to colonial status: an American puppet or pawn in the coming war against the Soviets. Within a week, strikes and demonstrations involving thousands of people spread throughout China.

While rape and abuse of women by American (and other) soldiers was an unfortunate fact of life in many Chinese cities at the time, the intersection of imperialism, race, class, and gender practically guaranteed that Shen Chong’s rape would particularly touch a nerve with China’s educated elite. For the students in Beijing, Shen was one of them. When asked about the behavior of Chinese soldiers, a student association leader replied that those soldiers “bothered only peasants and did not molest Chinese intellectuals.”  As in other times and places, there was a close relationship between class and the regulation of (female) sexual purity.

The idea of Shen Chong, the image of scholarly virtue and feminine purity, being held down and savaged by barbaric invaders in the heart of China’s cultural capital enraged Chinese, particularly young males.  It’s not a stretch to see why. In colonial and conquest situations throughout Chinese history, there has been a pattern of men holding up elite women as symbolic vessels of virtue.  In cases of violation/pollution, the anger against the invader/attacker is compounded by a sense of impotence felt by the society who failed to adequately protect the symbolic sanctity of the Women/state/nation.

On an international level, the case galvanized Chinese public opinion against the American occupation, especially among the intellectual classes, making it increasingly difficult for the US forces to play the role of liberator, a situation the Americans did little to help through their handling of the case.  A US Navy doctor who examined Miss Shen suggested that had rape occurred, there would have been more (!) bruising on the thighs and buttocks. The US Consulate feared that compensating Shen would inspire similar claims against GIs from other Chinese women of ‘loose morals.’  There was an implicit assumption about “Miss Shen’s” reflected in the cartoons and stories of Asian temptresses which were common reading fodder for American servicemen in the Pacific.  As in other colonial/wartime contexts, Chinese female sexuality was reduced to the insatiable dragon lady always on the prowl for new conquests because of the assumed impotence (military defeat equaling sexual impotence) of her ‘natural’ mate, the Chinese male.  And who better to stand in than her (China’s) liberator, the American GI?  Such images were depressingly common at the time, and still occasionally appear in popular culture today.

While no single incident can be blamed for the eventual failing of trust between the Chinese people and the American government, cases like the brutal rape of student Shen did not inspire confidence in American motivations in China.  It is telling too that these issues of gender, class, and national sovereignty still hang heavy today in Japan, Korea, China, the Middle East, or wherever lingering fears of colonization and conquest intersect with issues of sex and sexual violence.

——-

Sources and further reading:

Robert Shaffer. “A Rape in Beijing, December 1946: GIs, Nationalist Protests, and U.S. Foreign Policy”
    The Pacific Historical Review, Vol. 69, No. 1 (Feb., 2000), pp. 31-64

Cook, James A. “Penetration and neocolonialism: the Shen Chong rape case and the anti-American student movement of 1946-47.” Republican China, Vol. 22 (1996), pp. 65-97.

Hong Yang, “The Shen Chong Rape Case and the Kang Bao (Anti-Brutality) Movement, 1946-1947,” in America Perceived: The Making of Chinese Images of the United States, 1945-1953 (Greenwood Publishing Group, 2002)

0 1 1 25

From the archives
    March 22, 2009 -- Sunday Morning Tea: Minxin Pei on the CCP; Economics and Chinese nationalism; The perils of powerful computers; Geologic satire and propaganda; Sexuality, stereotypes, and Priscilla Queen of the Desert
    March 8, 2007 -- History and Memory: Japan, China, and "Comfort Women"
    August 28, 2006 -- Sex in Shanghai
    December 24th, 2008
    5 comments to The Historical Record for December 24: The Christmas Eve Rape of Student Shen
    stuart
    December 25, 2008 at 10:43 am
    Interesting piece, Jeremiah.

I think what is still true today, more so I believe in China than elsewhere, is that a crime (be it sexually motivated or otherwise) where the assailant is non-Chinese brings to the forefront the spectre of China as the world’s victim. And nothing is likely to inflame tensions more than when that crime is rape.

China, more than any other country I’ve visited (I haven’t been Saudi Arabia, for example), seems to adopt an attitude of protection towards its women that goes beyond chivalry. I think it has more to do with a sense of ownership. Of course there are historical or cultural reasons for this, but the lingering racism inherent in such attitudes reflects one area at least where China is still struggling to open up.

Yes, most other countries would also display greater shock and anger towards foreign rapists than rapists from their own backyard; but not to the same degree, I suggest.

If such an incident with foreigners were to happen in China today (whether perpetrated by soldiers, engineers, students, or teachers), I’m certain that the media backlash, nationalistic fury, and violent demonstrations would make the 1946 reactions seem like a ripple on a pond.

I wouldn’t care to put a figure on the number of rapes that take place in China every day, but I’m sure if such a number were available it would make very sad reading. However, none would come close to inspiring the kind of outrage I described above. Why is this?

As a foreigner living and working here with a Chinese wife, I have run into resentment, indignation, and insults in every part of China we have visited together. When you engage with people on a personal level (e.g. talking to people while sharing a train compartment, eating in a restaurant, chatting to neighbours) ill feelings subside and acceptance is gained. But there remains an attitude on the street that treats me like the defiler of China’s heritage and my wife as a traitor to the Motherland. That attitude has often been lent a voice.

And no, I’m not paranoid.

I accept that China has had less time to get used to the idea of interracial relationships than the west, and that Britain too, for example, underwent a period of transition while it adjusted its attitudes towards mixed race relationships.

The corresponding adjustment in China is taking rather too long, something I attribute to deep-rooted feelings of a racist nature that the Chinese government does little to assuage.

Healthy and happy Xmas + 2009 to you and yours, btw.

DavidofSanGabriel
    December 25, 2008 at 11:09 am
    Yep. You have my sympathy and best wishes, Stuart. When I was in Beijing, my Chinese born buddy saw a young Chinese woman with a foreigner and said, “She’s a whore, they’re all whores.” I know the stares. I get them all the time from Chinese here in San Gabriel, California, when I go out for lunch with my Chinese boss (nice lady, happily married to a Chinese guy).

Oh yeah, and rape goes with war. You train a bunch of 18-year-olds to kill and be prepared to die at any time then are shocked when they commit the occasional atrocity? Yes, I’m “shocked, SHOCKED”! I say, in my best Claude Rains voice…

The kind of stuff that goes on in every war. They just don’t talk about it on the TV. Might confuse the good patriotic citizens.

“The corresponding adjustment in China is taking rather too long, something I attribute to deep-rooted feelings of a racist nature that the Chinese government does little to assuage.”

Assuage? I would suggest the Chinese government would more likely inflame such feelings. After all, no one in China believes in Communism anymore, but there’s always the SACRED MOTHERLAND which needs to be loved and protected (just like “our” fair Chinese maidens).

Best of luck to you and your wife, and Happy Holidays to you too!

Jeremiah
    December 25, 2008 at 8:21 pm
    Stuart,

I understand where you’re coming from. YJ and I occasionally run into the same thing. The fact that she is a “good girl” (PKU grad, etc.) tends to flumox the less worldly observers who tend to assume that “only peasants” would date a foreigner…some things never change.

To some extent I alluded to this situation above.

That said, I might separate the situation surrounding this case, or any case of sexual violence, from issues of cross-national dating/marriage. I agree that there were specific circumstances (historical, political, military) which made Student Shen such a cause célèbre, but by the same token I don’t think it’s possible to overreact to a rape/abduction.

Michael Meyer
    December 26, 2008 at 9:21 am
    Greetings – Coincidentally, I just read an account of this crime and trial in Ronald H. Spector’s IN THE RUINS OF EMPIRE: THE JAPANESE SURRENDER AND THE BATTLE FOR POSTWAR ASIA, which does a very nice job summarizing the stationing of Marines throughout China after Japan’s surrender and Russia’s entry into Manchukuo. Recommended reading for those interested in war crimes, trials and broken truces.

stuart
    December 26, 2008 at 10:35 am
    “To some extent I alluded to this situation above.”

Yes, you did, which is what set me off

“…but by the same token I don’t think it’s possible to overreact to a rape/abduction.”

I agree entirely.

My point, before I got slightly sidetracked, was that the level of outrage at these crimes should be independent of the race, nationality, religion, or economic status of the perpetrators.

In reality such a society doesn’t exist, but China is lagging a bit further behind the curve than it ought to be.
作者:milanpirlo 提交日期:2012-08-12 20:22:22
    美国在中国的形象变化:1946与1972。不错的本科或者研究生论文题目。呵呵
作者:锡象熏斋 提交日期:2012-08-13 00:13:37
    作者:之乎 提交日期:2012-08-12 12:56:48
    —————————————————————————————————————
    胡局不买是错的,不写是对的!
    卖的不就是老杜吗?这不是秘密,他为显摆还写了篇小说。
    不写也许是对的,但写了也不算错,这算不上狗崽队手法。因为沈崇事件是个重要历史事件,已不是单纯的个人隐私。作者去采访当事人再把采访记录下来,这并无不妥,只是发表的时机稍早了些。
作者:天地一沙鸥 提交日期:2012-08-13 00:59:57
    可以买,可以写,只要有史家眼光,求实态度
作者:之乎 提交日期:2013-11-03 00:28:56

今晚于三联书店见到许礼平《旧日风云》牛津版,书做得真漂亮,宋徽宗描金云龙笺纸作面底,书名集顾炎武字,董桥序。

《沈崇自白》在书里的题目是《倾人之国的佳人-记沈崇自白》,好么,佳人被污。

中华新版《花随人圣庵摭忆》若作成这本书的样子该有多好。两书用纸之差距有如NBA与CBA.
作者:王海岛 提交日期:2013-11-04 23:06:05
    牛津的书不过金玉其外而已

©版权所有 2002-2019年 布衣书局